Saturday, February 23, 2013

Papierż

In a largely Catholic country, when the Pope resigns, there’s a lot of talk, most of which I cannot follow here yet, sadly, but the resignation of Benedict XVI brings to mind his predecessor, Jan Pawel II, who will always be close to the hearts, minds, and souls of his flock in Poland. He’s a saint here, and I say that, as I say and write few things, absolutely without irony or irreverence or qualification. Insofar as that word, that status, has any meaning whatsoever in human life, John Paul II was a saint.

I remember, it had to be 1979, one of my literature professors was bemoaning the lack of genuine heroes in our age, of accomplished people with unsullied reputations, and he asked any of us to name someone—politician, movie star, athlete, artist, writer—worthy of unequivocal admiration. I said, rather off-handedly, because I didn’t really pay that much attention to either popular culture or the Vatican, “What about the Pope?” My professor deflated slightly, as if my answer were both surprising, annoying even, and a little unfair, like, “well, of course the Pope.” Then I said, “no, I don’t mean the Pope as Pope, I mean the guy himself. I mean, I hear he was a writer, an artist, an intellectual, you know, kind of a Renaissance guy.” I couldn’t remember his name exactly, Karol Wotyła, and certainly wouldn’t have been able to pronounce it correctly even if I had known how to spell it (Vo-TEE-wa). And this was before, I think, the assassination attempt, and before he became the Pope and the saint we’ve come to understand him to have been. (Over the years I would come to doubt his infallibility on any number of points, and I read he wasn’t a particularly able administrator, but I never found reason to doubt his faith or his integrity as a thinking, feeling human being.)
My authorities, Polish writers, among them Miłosz and Andrzej Stasiuk, confirm that my early, uneducated guess, was about as right as I’ve ever guessed on any exam question, ever. Miłosz’s poem, “Ode for the Eightieth Birthday of Pope John Paul II,” fairly rings, peals in affirmation, “Your portrait in our homes every day remind[s] us/How much one man can accomplish and how sainthood works.” (710) Pretty unequivocal. And this last month, on the Planty surrounding the town square, a photographic exhibit of the Pope’s last years, particularly his visits to Poland, almost haunts the heart of this city. The words from Stasiuk’s Fado perfectly describe the impact of this collection, on me anyway:

In this idiotic world where old age has become outlawed, where sickness and weakness border on the criminal, where anyone who lacks the strength to produce and consume becomes an outcast, where failure and destitution are acceptable only in television reports from distant lands, he had the courage to die with millions watching; he had the courage to show his wasted body, his face constricted with suffering, his dragging feet, his death throes. This was his last lesson at a time when he could no longer speak. (140)
He showed us how to die. I was talking about him with Monika and wondering aloud how he could have been so powerful, so effective a presence. She stopped me and said, “Josh, he was an actor.”

An act none of us could have followed. Peace be with you, Benedict.