Sunday, May 19, 2013

Birds of the Planty: Lesson One, The Pigeon

The common pigeon, gołąb, pronounced not unlike “GO-wamp,” has a privileged place here in Kraków. I’ve yet to figure out completely why. At my house in St. Paul, they roost loosely and noisily in my brackets, making themselves all too cozy amidst the anti-pigeon measures. They befoul my air conditioner, chimney, and sidewalk. I don’t encourage them and sometimes disrupt their comfort with a tennis ball.

Here, pigeons receive nurture. The obwarczanek ladies routinely gorge them on old product and from the crumbs and seeds they brush out of the box. (Waste of mek, if you ask me.) And I’m well aware that some people raise them, “their birds,” as a hobby, for racing and homing and who knows what else. Manuals about their care have been written for this audience, no doubt, but I have never seen one in a U.S. bookstore—and I’ve been to a few—nestled away in some obscure, inaccessible corner shelf next to the Historical Essays of Henry Adams. But in Kraków, The Atlas of Pigeons finds a conspicuous place in the main street bookshop window, next to the trendy Cultivate Grapes and one window over from the complete Miłosz.

Atlas of Pigeonry
And they figure sympathetically in Polish poetry. In Zagajewski’s “Exploding Man,” the explosion enveloping the man is just a flock of pigeons at their feeding, prompted to fly off by fear, which in my experience on the Rynek, approaches in the form of three year old boys. But they fly off as “skrzydlatach przyjaciół człowieka” (“winged friends of  [the] man”).
An Implosion of Pigeons
Speculating here, but I wonder if this is relevant…Today was Pentacost Sunday, and First Holy Communion at Kościół Święta Floriana, and during the sermon on the Holy Spirit, I definitely caught the word gołąb, but probably gołąbnica, the diminutive of gołąb, meaning “dove.” In English, the relation between pigeons and doves (they are essentially the same bird family) is linguistically obscured. In Polish, while there may be a size distinction, you’re definitely in the Paraclete family, the emblem of the Holy Spirit, the Emissary of God. That is, pigeons here approach the sacred, which may account for this weird photographic association I have had in my head for at least a month now.
Red-eyed Saints
Peter and Paul's Gate