Saturday, August 31, 2013

Until then


I cut off today my Polish moustaches. I’ve been considering it since I returned. They did their work, inspired my look and framed my mouth with Old Polishness, but they do not appear to have improved my language skills particularly, that is to say, magically. And nonverbal communication can only go so far, even to the point of miscommunication, misrepresentation. Last Saturday at the Minnesota State Fair, wearing my moustaches and my Kraków T-shirt, I heard someone from the crowd call out dzień dobry, to which I responded, dzień dobry, but could take it spontaneously no farther, alas, szkoda. (A Polish graduate student in Horticulture.) I have yet, it seems, to have genuinely earned those silver stripes. I feel no less Polish now in their detachment, nor any less committed to the enterprise. Rather, I’ll proceed in my natural-born disguise, the baby-faced Amerykaninem. Until then.