Saturday, July 28, 2012

Środy

This week’s The New Yorker magazine highlighted the recent publication of Witold Gombrowicz’s “complete” Diary by Yale. I returned to the diary, Volume I anyway, to survey my underlinings. Considering the expenditure of pencil, I must agree that he’s a very worthwhile read—leaving me two more volumes, or the new collection, to purchase.

Unintentionally exiled to Argentina at the outset of World War II, Gombrowicz  would seem to represent something of the reverse of my intentions, the unbecoming polakiem: he wanted to move beyond a native Polishness that he found provincial, conventional, self-satisfied, and at the same time, insecure and defensive vis-à-vis the world and "higher" national cultures. I like very much what he had to say, though the post-Polish Polishness he advocated demands more ambition and strenuousness of purpose, more greatness than I can muster for my lesser task. Still, I can learn a great deal from him and take some encouragement from his reflections. For example:

Wednesday

Wind and spindles of clouds crowding the peaks from the south. A lone chicken pecks away on the lawn. . . .
To be a concrete man. To be an individual. Not to strive to transform the whole world. To live in the world, changing only as much as possible from within the reach of my nature. To become real in harmony with my needs, my individual needs.
I do not want to say that collective and abstract thought, that Humanity as such, are not important. Yet a certain balance must be restored. The most modern direction of thought is one that will rediscover the individual man. (I, 90)

On another Wednesday, he wrote:

I know well what sort of Polish culture I would like to have in the future. The only question is: am I not spreading a program that is only my personal need on an entire people. This is it: the weakness of today’s Pole results from his being too monolithic, and too one-sided; therefore, all effort should be aimed at enriching him by one more pole, at completing him with another Pole, an absolutely, radically different Pole. (I, 109)

It would be presumptuous to presume that that other Pole might be an American, but for me, the pole of Polishness might be absolutely, radically different from my Americanness, this Joshness. (I seem to find him particularly enlightening on Wednesdays in 1954.)