Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Nie ma problemu

I know, I know, I know. I should be out in the Polish-speaking world, and not with the books. I should be out in a bar mellifluously conversing with my companions in drink or in a restaurant, ordering the duck, and trying to pick up a waitress who is entirely too young for me. But I could never talk that particular talk even in English, and I have taken on some academic responsibilities that require my immediate attention. Dr. hab. Banaś has enlisted me to copy-edit a collection of sociological essays (that will be published in English) on migration and multiculturalism in Europe; she has also invited me to lecture on multiculturalism in the United States in her master’s level seminar, a topic on which I have no particular expertise. Of course, in the spirit of international intellectual cooperation, I have agreed. As the subject of my dissertation once observed, “There is nothing quite so stimulating as having to lecture tomorrow on a period of history you hadn’t heard of until this afternoon.” Wing it.

Laborious as I find academic, especially social scientific, prose, the text I’ve been reading and editing has proven useful on a number of points relevant to the greater task of my becoming Polish. I’ll get to those shortly. But first, this sentence:

The extent of the relevance of any political ideology is arguably prone to appear in a cyclical configuration, with periods of regarding the ideology as a potentially useful explanatory resource, alternating with outbursts of popularity positing it as the most accurate explanation of an on-going state of affairs, if not the ultimate interpretation of a social reality as such.
Now, this passage must read better in Belorussian, and to its credit, the methodology and the data of the study strike me as sound and perhaps even original, its conclusions interesting. Whatever difficulties I’m experiencing are probably less the result of the peculiar linguistics of west Slavonic tribes and more the peculiar linguistics of that inscrutably verbose tribe of sociologists. This passage, actually relatively scrutable, is merely verbose. I’ll suggest, “Ideologies influence the social mind variously, from providing a potentially useful interpretation of reality to an all but definitive explanation.” (And even that might go without saying.) My dear sociologists, if you use enough words, you are bound to say something of value and interest eventually, but most of us will have stopped listening long before.

What I have learned, eventually, is that ¾ of the world’s nations consider national identity as essentially “inborn.” Poland is among those nations; the United States is not. For modern Poles, Polishness is essential, congenital, experiential, lived, and essentially, lived in Poland and nowhere else: it is existentially thick. Even Polish-speakers outside of Poland who were born into families of Polish origin, speaking the language and practicing its customs from childhood in a family setting but geographically elsewhere, former Soviet republics, for example, even after their spending years in school here in Poland, report either not feeling “Polish” or as “Polish” as they had hoped and expected to feel and/or not being accepted as “Polish” by Poles. At first glance, such findings would seem to be discouraging to someone embarked upon Polishness at an advanced age, especially someone with what appears to be deficient second-language acquisition apparatus. Not a problem, as I have learned to say in Polish, nie ma problemu. And here is why.

Polishness, polskość, is not static. There is no once, then, now and forever, Pole or Polishness. It morphs and metamorphs, slowly perhaps, even glacially at times, or quickly at others. It’s a moving target, whose movements are ultimately unpredictable. Who knows where I will be and where Poles will be in fifteen years on this question? We may be in the same kawiarnia. And even as it looks impossible to me now, Poles historically seem to have some fascination, some lingering national attraction to impossibility. So, I will continue to stroll in the general direction of the impossible and see what happens.